The Seven Sorrows (or Dolors) are events in the life of the Blessed Virgin Mary which are a popular devotion and are frequently depicted in art.
It is a common devotion for Catholics to say daily one Our Father and seven Hail Marys for each.
- The Prophecy of Simeon. (Luke 2:34-35) or the Circumcision of Christ
- The Flight into Egypt. (Matthew 2:13)
- The loss of the child Jesus in the Temple. (Luke 2:43-45)
- Mary meets Jesus on the way to Calvary.
- Jesus dies on the cross. (John 19:25)
- Mary receives the body of Jesus in her arms. (Matthew 27:57-59)
- The body of Jesus is placed in the tomb. (John 19:40-42)
These Seven Sorrows should not be confused with the five Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary.
Seven Sorrows of the Virgin Mary